This year, the Foley Marching Band has an amazing membership of 275 students. The 2014 “Mighty Band From Lion Land” is under the field direction of drum majors Madalyn McCormick, Shannon Finch, and Esmeralda Serna. Their halftime show is titled, “The Foley Rock Opera,” and it represents hundreds of hours of instruction and learning, both in and out of the classroom. The Foley Band prides itself in performing shows that are entertaining and competitive.
The Foley Band program has many student leaders who play a big part in the success of our band. Our student leaders are as follows:
- Drum Majors – Madalyn McCormick, Shannon Finch, and Esmeralda Serna
- Assistant Drum Major –Sarah Shire
- Band Captain – Kristina Moccio
- Drumline Captains –Zach Lawrence and Zach Gebhart
- Pit Captains – Bradley Sutherlin and Shelby Hill
- Colorguard Captains – Ashleigh McAdams and Katelyn Dodd
- Dance Line Captain – Balie Umphrey
- Flute Captains –Moe Mack and Sam Gary
- Clarinet Captains – Breanna Rodriguez and Elizabeth Trattles
- Saxophone Captains – Collin Tacheny and Kory Jowers
- Trumpet Captains – Adam Lawrence and Brittan Stark
- Horn Captains – Ray Mack and Madison Major
- Trombone Captains – Tyler Sexton and Frankie Badners
- Baritone Captains –Nick Good and Wesley Joyner
- Tuba Captains – Corben Murphy and Wesley Gleaton
- Flag Sargents- Kelsey Madison, Hannah Hinton, and Lauren Schoen.
- Marching Captains– Samantha Callaway, Natalie Reid, Mackenzie Robinson, Anthony Johnson, Savannah Welch, Grady Gunn, Madison Robinson, Katie Pfeiffer, Johnathon Lenz, and Sarah Shire
- Band Managers – Brandon Whitsett, Brandon Montgomery, Will Schoen, Stephen Morris, Haley Deisner, Tori Carrier, and Efrain Tillmon.
The Director of Bands is Mr. Carl Major, and the assistant directors are Jimmy O’Cain, Rachael Thomas, Shaun Hammonds, and Melissa White. The color guard instructor and coordinator is Mr. Bill Blocker. The Dance Team instructor and coordinator is Sherian Cain.
Staff members for the 2014 Foley Band are as follows:
- Amanda Major, Brass and Marching Coordinator
- Taylor Thompson – Tuba Instructor
- Chris LaBatard – Baritone Instructor
- Cody Morrow – Trumpet Instructor
- Andrew Kennedy – Trumpet Instructor
- Alex Malave – Trombone Instructor
- Gary Pitts – Woodwind Instructor
- Gigi Head & Katie Kreider– Colorguard Staff
- Crystal Tomecek – Woodwind and Marching Instructor.
The Foley Band Booster Organization is comprised of band parents from the students in the Foley Band Program. Our Band Boosters Officers for 2014 are as follows:
- President – Melissa Feather
- 1st Vice-President – Wynette Duffey
- 2nd Vice-President – Jocelyn Badners
- Secretary – Vicky Nelson
- Treasurer – Leslie McCormick
- Chaperone Chairperson – Debbie Good
- White Sands Chairpersons – Aaron Hobbs, Amy Scruggs, and Bridgit Gosa
The many successes of the Foley Band would not be possible without the support from all of the Foley High School Administration and Principal Mr. Russ Moore, Assistant Principal’s Mark Wilson, Shane Tucker, Lynn Harrison, and James Akins. A special thank you to the Baldwin County Music Supervisor, Mrs. Vicky Cook.
The Mighty Band From Lion Land has a long tradition of excellence stemming back to the late 1970’s. The concert and marching bands have readily earned superior ratings for over 30 years. Past Winter Guard, Winter Drumline and Jazz Bands have earned both Regional and National Championships. Some of the many accolades of the band program include:
- Opening Ceremonies for the Daytona-500 Race, Bands of America Regional Finalist
- National Hall of Fame Bowl
- National Peach Bowl Grand Champions
- Chicago’s – St. Patrick’s Day Parade
- Boscov’s Nationally Televised Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Loyola Universities National Invitational Grand Champion
- Universal Studios Grand Champion
- Fiesta Bowl Parade
- National “Grammy Signature” Awarded Band Program…only 100 band programs in the Nation were awarded this very prestigious status
- Prestigious member of the Conn – Selmer All-Amercian School Foundations
- Commendations from the Alabama State Senate and the President of the United States
- 1st Place Parade Band in the Fiesta Flambeaux Parade in San Antonio, TX.
In addition, the Foley Steel Band has performed at many City and School Board functions as well as weddings and parties, Universal Studios, the Alabama Bandmasters Summer Convention, and the Goombay Festival in Florida.
You can see more information about the Foley Band at Foley Band.com.