Happy New Year! It is finally the new year, and you know what they say “New year, new me!” Why not start the new year with learning a new language? Everyone is making all of their New Year’s resolutions. So why not bust out that list and add one more resolution?
Language learning can be very beneficial in life, and can get you very far with many advantages. Some benefits include:
- Learning about different cultures besides your own
- Increases your intelligence
- Impress dates at foreign restaurants by saying the dish in its native language
- Study abroad will be even better when you know the native language in whatever country you study in
- Improve employment options that have a higher pay rate
Just consider the possibilities that you can gain just from learning a second language. Many citizens in the European and Scandinavian countries know up to 8-9 languages and can speak all of them with ease. So for people in the United States of America, I feel that it is very important for us to learn as much languages as possible.
I took French 1 & 2 my junior year in high school. The reason why I chose French is because I was very interested in the French culture and the beauty of the language itself. Sadly, there are not a lot of French speakers in America. But that doesn’t mean that I quit trying to persuade people into learning the language, so we can have secret conversations about TV shows that everyone else hates but we love.
If you want to learn a new language without spending any money, there is a website & App called “Duolingo.”