By Hannah Bass
Can long distance relationships really be tricky? Hard? Stressful? Yes, they can, but they can only be as hard and as stressful as you make it.
Quick stats from long distance relationship statistics.com:
- 14 million couples define themselves as having a long distance relationship
- 3.75 million married couples are in a long distance relationship
- 32.5 % of all long distance relationships are college relationships
- 75 % of all engaged couples have been or at some point in a long distance relationship
- 2.9 % of all married couples in the states live in a long distance relationship
- 10 % of all marriages in the states started out as a long distance relationship
Personally, I have been in a long distance relationship for one year and two months. I guess you would consider Bay Minette long distance being that I live in Foley. We met in middle school during soccer season when his team played against mine. In March of 2014, we started talking and our parents allowed us to go to the movies on a date. Ever since then, he has been in my life. We continued to see each other every weekend at the movies for months. Our families are very supportive of our relationship, just like we are of each other.
Google Tips On How to Deal with A Long Distance Relationship:
- Communicate often.
- TRUST each other.
- Be supportive.
- Make plans.
- Stay focused on your time together instead of your time apart.
Long-distance relationships can be very challenging but also very rewarding. You are less likely to take each other for granted. The time you are together is likely to be more exciting. It takes a lot of commitment and trust to keep a long distance relationship strong.
Yes, it is a huge struggle at times, and it puts a strain on your relationship. My philosophy for dating is to be with someone because you have a connection, and you see the relationship going somewhere. Be with who makes you happy. Never take each other for granted, and enjoy the time you have together. Overall, it is a struggle, but at the end of the day it is all worth it.