Foley High School is holding Winter Guard auditions.
What is Winterguard?
Winterguard is an indoor color guard sport usually performed during the winter or spring, where the guard performs unaccompanied by the band to a piece of pre-recorded music. They typically consist of girls but may include boys as well. The gymnasium floor typically is covered by an individually designed tarp (called a floor mat or floor by members) that generally reflects the show being performed on it. Occasionally the floor only acts as a backdrop, so that the audience is drawn towards what the members are doing. The members may perform barefoot, but wearing jazz shoes or modern dance shoes is also common.
For more information regarding winter guard, use this link.
Things to Know
- Anyone trying out must be in the first block color guard period to be eligible for competitive guard
- There will be 18 performers: 4 rifles, 4 sabres, 8 flags, and 2 alternates
- Drama will not be allowed
- You must be “up to date and current” with your band fees before you can audition
- If you do not make the competitive guard or do not tryout, there will be a “fun guard” which is during the regular class time and no after school rehearsals are required.
Spin Clinic and Audition Dates
Mandatory Spin Clinics will be October 16th and 18th from 4-6:30pm
- The spin clinics is where the members trying out learn new things, tricks, tosses, and choreography to get better and more comfortable with dance and your equipment. It is also to get a feel of how winter guard will be and to make the final decision whether it is something you want to do.
Auditions will be 4-8pm on October 22nd, 23rd, and 25th
Fees and Dues
Fees associated with the “competitive” guard are $250.00
This covers your uniform, show fees, regional fees, and other expenses
If you are selected, a $100.00 deposit is due on Friday, November 2nd
The 2nd payment of $150 is due be December 1st
Rehearsals after auditions week will begin November 6th and 8th from 4-8pm every week after that point. No practices will be given Thanksgiving or Christmas break. All rehearsals are required and if you are unable to attend one, you must get the approval from one of the band directors. Also, there are staging camps scheduled for December 1st and January 12th from 9am-9pm that are also a mandatory rehearsal.
Contract and Application
To fill out a contract or application, please go to one of the band directors for these papers. Along with this packet there will be information about the fees and scheduled rehearsals as said above. The contract and application are due Thursday, October 18th.